The city of Nerja offers all of its visitors an excellent variety of cultural and quality leisure activities: painting exhibits, photography exhibits, music concerts, popular festivals… Here are some suggestions for students looking for new experiences over the next few months:
– `Carteles de Miró’ at the Nerja Museum (Plaza de España, 4): from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. to 6.30 p.m. until 20th March. A collection of 32 original posters painted by the genius Joan Miró between 1963 and 1985. The influence of Miró’s work on the new generations of artists and designers all over the world is considerable. The exhibition is a unique opportunity to be able to see Miró’s work in Andalusia.
– ´Homodefectus´ at the Villa de Nerja Cultural Centre (Calle Granada, 45): until 27th March. ´Homodefectus´ is a photography exhibition by the artist Javier Zapatero, who observes homo sapiens; in other words, human beings, from his particular viewpoint. From his perspective, we can observe a small human being with many defects which is defenceless…yet wonderful, and full of life and energy.
– ´Nerjajazz´ with Deborah Carter, at the Nerja Villa Cultural Centre (Calle Granada, 45): 1st March at 9 p.m. Price: 10 euros. Deborah J. Carter is a singer and composer with a very personal contemporary jazz interpretation style. Music Marker magazine describes her as one of the most “exciting” jazz artists on today’s European scene. Carter will perform in Nerja following her tour that awed the public through countries like Germany, England, Holland and Belgium.
– Romería de San Isidro (Pilgrimage). 15th May. This is the most important popular festival in Nerja and is held in honour of the saint of farmers and day labourers, Saint Isidore. The streets of Nerja are festively adorned, there are carriages and horses and the people dress in flamenco clothing. It’s a festival when you sing, eat, drink and dance until dawn.
– A virtual tour of the Nerja Cave on the Nerja Cave Foundation’s website. At www.cuevadenerja.es you can find a virtual tour of the Nerja Cave with high resolution moving pictures allowing you to observe the beauty and splendour of Nerja’s natural monument. You can visit the spectacular Nerja Cave right on the computer screen without missing out on a single detail thanks to the moving 360º pictures.
– El Pinarillo: a picnic and barbecue area at the Sierras de Tejeda, Almijara and Alhama Natural Park and the most important starting point for the many nature trails in Nerja for hikers and walkers. It is located some 5 kilometres from the Nerja Cave. To reach it, you must walk along the trail that begins to the left of the main entrance to the Nerja Cave.